Scriptures on Coaching
There is a clear sense through the flow of Proverbs that wisdom is gained by receiving into our lives wisdom and guidance from others. A number of scripture passages refer to the need for receiving counsel, accountability, instruction, and admonishment from another. Here are passages that present and amplify the need for coaching (New International Version):
- Proverbs. 9:9Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning.
- Proverbs 10:17He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.
- Proverbs 27:5Better is open rebuke than hidden love.
- Proverbs 27:9Oil and perfume make the heart glad, so a man's counsel is sweet to his friend.
- Proverbs 28:23He who rebukes a man will in the end gain more favor than he who flatters with the tongue.
- Proverbs 1:5Let the wise listen and add to the learning, and let the discerning get guidance.
- Proverbs 11:14For lack of guidance a nation falls, but many advisers make victory sure.
- Proverbs 12:15The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice.
- Proverbs 15:22Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisors they succeed.
- Proverbs 19:20Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise.
- Proverbs 20:18Make plans by seeking advice; if you wage war, obtain guidance.
- Proverbs 28:26He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe.
- Proverbs 24:6For waging war you need guidance, and for victory many advisors.
- Proverbs 13:10Pride only breeds quarrels, but wisdom is found in those who take advice.
- Proverbs 20:5The purposes of a man's heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out.
- Proverbs 27:17As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
- Psalm 1:1Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked.